“As members of the American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC), the Underground Ministry operates in full support of these beliefs” AACC BELIEVES THAT:
1. There exists only one God, creator and sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally co-existing in three persons Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
2. The Scriptures, both Old and New testaments, are the inspired, inerrant and trustworthy Word of God, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of human beings, and the final authority for all matters about which it speaks.
3. Human nature derives from two historical personas, male and female, created in God’s image. They were created perfect, but they sinned, plunging themselves and all human beings into sin, guilt, suffering, and death.
4. The substitutionary death of Jesus Christ and his bodily resurrection provide the only ground for justification, forgiveness, and salvation for all who believe.
5. Only those who trust in Him alone are born of the Holy Spirit and are true members of the Church; only they will spend eternity with Christ.
6. The Holy Spirit is the agent of regeneration and renewal for believers in Jesus Christ. He makes the presence of Jesus Christ real in believers, and He comforts, guides, convicts, and enables believers to live in ways that honor Christ.
7. Ministry to persons acknowledges the complexity of humans as physical, social, psychological, and spiritual beings. The ultimate goal of Christian counseling is to help others move to personal wholeness, interpersonal competence, mental stability, and spiritual maturity.
As a ministry of Christian counseling, the Underground values and operates in the priority of:
Love- As believers in the life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we are called to love our fellow man. We are called to offer counsel that aligns with the Bible as God's perfect counsel while showing respect for every human beings individual journey towards the truth.
Grace- Every human being was created by God in the image of God. Sin has broken God's original design. Every human being has a story of brokenness that deserves to be heard.
Community- Sin has captured the heart and corrupted the behaviors of those caught addictive behavior. Freedom and healing are found within the community of Christ centered groups who together seek Jesus in the process of transformation.
Regeneration- We believe those who have believed by faith that Jesus Christ was sacrificed on the Cross for their sins and by his resurrection believe they are promised new life receive the ministry of the Holy Spirit to indwell, convict, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly living and service. Regeneration of the soul begins at salvation and continues throughout the life of a believer. The divine power to change begins at salvation.
Healing- Broken people are healed as they believe the truth of their value in Jesus Christ and
pursue him by faith in obedience. Healing in recovery includes understanding the impact of sin and human influences, forgiving those who have hurt us and recognizing the lies that have driven our choices. The Underground promotes healing as a maturing of thoughts, decisions and emotional responses. As we pray for God to remove our desire to sin, we understand that an instantaneous event that would permanently remove the addiction is rare and considered a sovereign act of grace by God. We embrace the journey of healing as a process of our mind, will and emotions being conformed to the image of Christ. The process of healing for those caught in sexual addiction is measured by progress not perfection.
Hope- We are called to hold the hope of restoration and healing in Jesus Christ for those caught in the sin of addictive behaviors.
The Underground ministry will provide Christ centered education and encouragement to facilitate the healing of men and spouses caught in the destruction sexual sin. We will conduct this mission locally through professionally trained clinical/Christian counseling, regionally through peer led recovery groups and nationally through intensive workshops/seminars.
The primary efforts of the Underground will be directed toward the church of Jesus Christ and related Christian organizations but not to the exclusion of unbelievers seeking healing through Jesus Christ.